There are online MSW programs that can be completed in two years. For traditional standing students, those who have not earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), full-time online MSW programs typically take two years to complete. The majority of these programs use a cohort model of instruction where students enter and proceed through program together as a group. Therefore, students are usually required to take a set schedule of classes each quarter / semester. For students who decide to pursue an online MSW full-time, most schools do not recommend trying to work full-time during the program due to the course loads and field education requirements.
For working professionals, there are also part-time online MSW programs that typically take two and a half to four years to complete depending on the school.
For students who have already earned a BSW, there are full-time and part-time advanced standing online MSW programs that can be completed in one to two and a half years depending on the curriculum. These programs typically have stricter admission criteria and often have prerequisite course requirements.
Online MSW Programs that can be Completed in Two Years (Traditional Programs)
Click on the school name for more information about their programs, admission requirements and eligibility restrictions.
|SCHOOL NAME||STRUCTURE OF PROGRAM*||LENGTH OF PROGRAM|
|Arizona State University||100% Online||2 years|
|Boise State University||100% Online||2 years|
|California State University, Northridge||100% Online||2 years (four semesters)|
|Columbia University||Limited Campus Visits Required||2 years|
|Edinboro University||100% Online||2 years (accelerated program with eight quarters: Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer)|
|Louisiana State University||100% Online||2 years|
|Saint Leo University||Limited Campus Visits Required||2 years (six semesters: Fall, Spring and Summer)|
|Simmons University||100% Online||Program Options: 15 months (4 terms), 2 years (6 terms), ~2.5 years (8 terms)|
|University of Alaska Anchorage||Limited Campus Visits Required||2 years|
|University of Denver||100% Online||27 months|
|University of Louisville||100% Online||2.5 years (seven semesters)|
|University of New Hampshire||100% Online||28 to 29 months (seven semesters)|
|University of Southern California (USC)||100% Online||2 years (four semesters)|
|University of Tennessee at Knoxville||100% Online||2 years (four semesters)|
|Western New Mexico University||100% Online||2 years|
*All online MSW programs require field education at a local health services agency. Programs that are 100% online do not require students to visit the campus during the program.
More FAQs about Online MSW Programs
- FAQ: Are there any one year online MSW programs?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs for BSW students?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs for non-BSW students?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that do not require the GRE?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that have multiple start dates?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that start in the Spring?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a children, youth, and family counseling concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a trauma concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with asynchronous instruction
- FAQ: Can you get an MSW without a BSW?
- FAQ: MSW vs. LCSW
- FAQ: MSW vs. MSSW vs. MSSA
- FAQ: What are the GPA requirements for online MSW programs?
- FAQ: What does it mean if an online MSW program uses a cohort model?
- FAQ: What is an advanced generalist online MSW program?
- FAQ: What is the difference between micro, mezzo and macro social work?
- FAQ: What is the difference between online, campus, hybrid, and distance learning MSW programs?
- FAQ: Where do licensed clinical social workers work?